I can’t rave enough about how delicious this Mac n’ Cheese recipe is! If Mac n’ Cheese is one of your favorite “naughty” foods, then you are going to be in HEAVEN! This Mac n’ Cheese is absolutely to die for with less than half of the calories to the classic recipe! What makes all the difference? It’s the pumpkin! Seriously, it makes for an incredibly rich and creamy flavor and texture. Check out the stats….
The Classic Mac n’ Cheese recipe:
• 908 calories per serving
• 963 milligrams sodium
• 36 grams saturated fat
Our Healthy Pumpkin Mac n’ Cheese recipe:
• 390 calories per serving
• 589 milligrams sodium
• 6.1 grams saturated fat
1 15oz Can Organic Pure Pumpkin (Do not buy the pumpkin pie mix!)
1 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 cups lowfat milk
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons Greek yogurt
1 1/4 cups (5 ounces) shredded Gruyère cheese
1 cup (4 ounces) grated pecorino Romano cheese
1/4 cup (1 ounce) finely grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
1 pound uncooked Cavatappi
1/2 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Start water boiling for pasta in large pot
- Combine pumpkin, broth, milk, and garlic in a medium saucepan; bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Add salt, pepper, and Greek yogurt and use an immersion blender until smooth (a regular blender works as well)
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain well and return to pot. Add squash mixture and cheese to pasta and stir until combined. Spread mixture evenly into a 13 x 9-inch glass or ceramic baking dish.
- Sprinkle panko and remaining parmesan cheese over pasta and lightly coat with cooking spray.
- Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until bubbly (I sometimes put the broiler on at the end to make the top brown and crispy, but you have to watch it because it will burn quickly).
- Sprinkle with parsley, and serve.